Monday 11 January 2016

I've not prepared for my mystery shop. What should I do?

I've got a mystery shop set up for today but I'm not really ready for it. It's at a national clothing and footwear retailer and I've not done the research, read the brief or made my notes. In short, I'm pretty much 100% unprepared.

So what can I do?

There are a few options and I'll take a look at them now. It is helpful to know what to so if you are ever in this situation.

Wing it
This is an option that I know some other shoppers have tried in the past. That's the only reason that I've included it here. I could probably give it a go as I've shopped this retailer many times before. The job notes do sometimes change for this but the theme is always the same.

Verdict: not a great idea.

Quickly check the notes and give it a go
Obviously in the day of mobile internet and wi-fi hotspots you can check out and pick up the notes at any stage. I haven't got my smartphone linked up to any printers so I couldn't have access to the physical questionnaire. I could however get on the phone and have a look at what is needed. I could make some basic notes and go from there.

Verdict: doable but not ideal.

Rearrange
Most of the mystery shop companies allow you to make a change to the date. It's often done online and most will allow you one change.

It gives me the time to check out the notes and prepare properly.

Verdict: the best plan!

If you are thinking of becoming a mystery shopper then it pays to read up first. Check out my guide to becoming a mystery shopper - it's less then the price of a takeaway coffee and gives you the lowdown on how to apply, be accepted and start making good money by going out to shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment