Tuesday 6 October 2015

Find out how I earned money with a shopping trip to a local coastal town

Yesterday brought about 4 mystery shops, all in the same town. It's a great way to pull all of these things together by having one trip, one lot of petrol and only one parking fee. I often try to find free parking but it's few and far between in big towns and cities.

The first visit was to a multinational supermarket chain and to check out availability of some of their ranges before making an enquiry with a colleague and making a purchase at the till. Browsing the store it became obvious that there weren't many staff in the location and it may take a while to find assistance. However, as I looked for the items I wanted to purchase, a team member passed me and I was able to ask their assistance.

There were no queues at the checkout and I managed to pass through quite quickly.

Fee = £2.50
Reimbursement = £5.00
Spend = £7.41
Profit/Loss = +£0.09



The second visit was to a discount store and the process was very straightforward. Make an enquiry on the shop floor, and a purchase at the checkout. The team member on the shop floor was very helpful and I feel sorry for him, as his service was excellent but he wasn't wearing a name badge so there were probably marked down for this. For a team member in a discount store to take the time to show you products elsewhere in the store and listen to your enquiry is rare, but this guy knew hi stuff.

Fee = £5.00
Reimbursement = £0.99
Spend = £4.01
Profit/Loss = +£1.98

The third visit was the final retail visit of the day and was to a national unisex clothing store. The remit for this store is always the same and I was required to visit the menswear department, which in this store was upstairs. This usually means that there is only one team member present in the upstairs and today was no exception. I was to make four enquiries and I like to make these with different team members to get a more overall view of the store rather than just one employee who may particularly good or particularly bad.  The team member was very good, but I feel most like a mystery shopper when asking the same team member several similar enquiries. I think it's when I'm most likely to me recognised as a mystery shopper.

Fee = £2.25
Reimbursement = £12.00
Spend = £12.00
Profit/Loss = +£2.25

The final visit of the day was for lunch (or dinner, depending on whereabouts in the UK you live - see here) It was to a chain pub, where the purpose of the mystery shop was to check service levels and whether the team were up-selling. The team were very good at discussing starters, larger size meals, sides and desserts so there was a huge tick in the up-selling box. And the service was definitely with a smile - three team members said "goodbye" as I left - how's that for a friendly team!

Fee = £2.75
Reimbursement = £12.74
Spend = £12.74
Profit/Loss = +£2.75

TOTAL = +£7.07 + groceries, clothing and lunch for 2

Like what you read? Want to be a mystery shopper?

Check out my book on the Amazon Kindle store-



No comments:

Post a Comment