Friday 9 October 2015

See why efficient searching for jobs helps the mystery shop process

I've been looking at all aspects of the process of mystery shopping and one area where I have worked hard on trying to be more efficient is the search for jobs. Each mystery shop company has a slightly different way of allowing you to see and choose the mystery shop assignments you can conduct for them.  I'll take you through my process this morning as I look through ten of the mystery shop companies I use-

Company 1 has an easy log-in and goes straight through to a map where you can draw your own search areas to make things easier for you to find the places that you are willing to travel to. Under the map is a list of those available jobs in your area, so you can search that way if you prefer.



This is my favourite mystery shopping company and I find most of my work with them. As I search today I see loads of bookmakers, quite a few drinks-only pubs and a lot of bakery mystery shops. None are really what I'm looking for given the time restraints I have this week, so I move on to the next company.

Company 2 used to have quite a wide selection of High Street names and the jobs were really interesting. Although the interest level hasn't dropped, the number of clients has. There are only really 2 clients available and, although both are good payers, both also don't have a many locations near to me.

The way of selecting jobs here is to go to each client in turn and then search your local area for available shops. It's nowhere near as functional as company 1, but with only 2 current clients to search it doesn't take long.

Company 3 lets you know by email whenever there is something available, but I always have a quick look at the website as well to make sure that I haven't missed anything. It's a little like company 1, where you set your own areas and the mystery shop company shows you what is available in those areas. You set up a postcode and it shows you everything within 10 miles of that postcode. As I expected, there's nothing here so I move on.

Company 4 is a company I still check, although I've not carried out an assignment for them in 20 months. They are very much focused on fast food companies and this just doesn't fit what I want to be shopping for. Again there is nothing there. As you progress with them you will need to pass accreditation for each client they serve to be able to shop that client. You then have a drop-down menu of areas and when you select an area it shows you what is available in that area.

Company 5 is another favourite, although their availability of jobs ranges from none to 30+ usually depending on what time of the month you go on their website. Today they have 17 fairly close to me but none that actually match what I'm looking for. The jobs have to either fit together (one visit to several locations close to each other) or be somewhere I'm already going to make me want to jump. A single mystery shop in a location that I have to drive to and potentially pay to park is unlikely to bring me a profit.

This company has a range of jobs from social media, retailers, concession stands and financial services - it's what makes it one of the best as you can often find something on there.

Companies 6-10 all use the same base system - it's a map with a list of available jobs underneath. You type in the postcode you want to search on and the radius you want and the system does the rest. You have to go to each mystery shop company individually but once you are on their site, the process is the same for all.

There's a range here from chemists, butchers, jewellers, clothing stores, charity shops, discount retailers, supermarkets, communication companies and more.

It's by having a set routine of the companies you will check and the frequency you will check them you will get the most out of mystery shopping. To have regular companies that you know will provide assignments that you can do and want to do will make your transition into a mystery shopper the more rewarding and will build confidence.


Like what you read? Want to become a mystery shopper?

Check out my book on the Amazon Kindle store-


No comments:

Post a Comment